|Fremont Dentist Dr. Uma Patel has treated thousands of patients in 10 yrs practice. Fremont dentist serving Newark, Union City, Hayward, Oakland, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Pleasanton, Livermore, San Ramon
|Family, Orthodontic, Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry
Fremont Dentist Dr. Uma Patel has treated thousands of patients in 10 yrs practice. Fremont dentist serving Newark, Union City, Hayward, Oakland, San
Jose, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Pleasanton, Livermore, San Ramon
|Family, Orthodontic, Implant & Cosmetic Dentist
In East Bay California and the surrounding
Fremont - Newark - Union City - Hayward - Milpitas, San Ramon, Oakland CA areas
Fremont Dentist Dr. Uma Patel, DDS provides quality Family and Children Dentistry in Fremont
neighborhood serving Union City, Newark, Hayward, Milpitas and other bay area cities.
|Fremont Dentist Dr. Uma Patel, DDS provides quality Family, Orthodontic, Implant, and Kids Dentistry in Fremont neighborhood serving Union
City, Newark, Hayward, Milpitas and other bay area cities. We are accessible from 880 & 680 Freeway at the crossing of Mowry Ave & Blacow Rd
© 2014 Star Dental. All Rights Reserved.
Dentist Fremont, Newark, Union City, Hayward, Milpitas, San Ramo, Children dentist, kids dentist
Veneers are a thin, semi-transparent tooth shaped "shell" that are made of porcelain. They are permanently bonded to your
natural teeth which are located in your "smile zone" to enhance their shape, color, length or size. They fit your teeth precisely to
look completely natural. They are used to conceal damaged, stained or misshaped surfaces of your teeth.
The great thing about veneers is they allow a conservative approach to long-lasting, major cosmetic changes.
The benefits of veneers as an alternative to a white fillings or crowns is:
- Only a small amount of the tooth structure (enamel) is removed (if any) during the procedure.
- They can mask undesirable defects such as tetracycline stains, an injury or discolored fillings.
- Often no anesthesia is needed.
- It gives a natural appearance with little to no discomfort.
- They are often a less costly alternative procedure to having crowns.
- Porcelain veneers are durable, strong, stain resistant and beautiful.
Veeners & Cosmetic Dentistry
Braces vs. Veneers
Veneers are usually more expensive than braces, but the results are immediate. Veneers
can improve the appearance of an overbite or underbite but NOT correct it. Braces can
realign the jaw and correct overbites and underbites, but they take time. Veneers cost a
lot less than braces.
Care tips of your cosmetic restorations:
- For about two weeks you will go through an adjustment period as you "get use to" your "new" teeth that have been
changed in size and shape. It will take your brain some time to recognize the new position of your teeth or their new
thickness as normal. If you detect any high spots or problems with your bite call us.
- Veneers have great crushing strength but not "tensile strength". Avoid anything that will twist the veneer. Please avoid
the following things would break even natural teeth such as chew on pistachio nuts, hard candy, chicken or rib bones, jelly
apples or open things with your teeth.
- As with your natural teeth, veneers require good oral hygiene. Brush with a ultra-soft toothbrush. Try a electric toothbrush
for better cleaning. Do not use a sonic type toothbrush as the vibrations may loosen the restoration.
- Use non-abrasive toothpaste or toothpaste with baking soda. Avoid "extra whitening" toothpaste because they are often
very abrasive and can scratch your restoration.
- Floss between all teeth at least once a day to remove plaque. Flossing before bedtime is the best time.
- Clean around your gum line carefully.
- Your gums may be sore, try rinsing them with water salt water (1 tsp. salt in 8 of warm water, rinse-swish-spit 3 times a
day) for several days to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Eat a normal diet yet be careful when eating hard foods, they can damage veneers.
- Do not rinse routinely with mouthwashes, as they are high in alcohol. Alcohol softens bonding and weakens the bond of
porcelain. If mouthwash is desired, a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water could be used or select a non-alcohol
- Dr. Patel will see you for professional maintenance, cleaning and polishing of your restorations every six months. ALWAYS
tell the staff you have porcelain veneers when you have your teeth cleaned and make sure they use a neutral sodium
fluoride. Stannous fluoride or acidulated phosphate fluoride are not recommended for composite resin bonding or
- Brush with a medium or hard toothbrush with an abrasive paste...it can scratch your restorations.
- Don't brush your teeth hard.
- Do not use stannous fluoride or Acidulated Phosphate Fluoride products with your veneers. They can etch the porcelain
veneers and decrease the surface smoothness of your veneer.
- Smoke, it will stain your restoration. Not smoking will increase the life span of you and your restorations.
- Avoid chewing tobacco, it will stain the veneers.
- Like natural teeth, the bonded material can pick up stains: try to avoid or keep to a minimum tobacco, coffee, tea, soy
sauce, curry, colas, grape juice, blueberries or red wine or indulge in foods or drinks that have dark pigments because they
can stain your veneers.
- If you feel a rough edge do NOT pick at it, make an appointment with use to have it smoothened.
- Allow anyone to clean your restorations with ultrasonic tools, air polishers or abrasive polishing pastes. Only composite or
diamond polishing paste is to be used for your professional cleanings.
- Like any restoration, it is possible for the veneer to come off or for small decay to develop. In that situation a new veneer
may be required. Also replacement of the restorations may be required in several years.
Veneers can last for years depending on how well you take care of them. Their durability will be shortened if you use them to bite
your nails, open objects with them, or chew on hard things like ice. Veneers can also chip or peel if not cared for properly, To
ensure they will last for years you need to maintain good oral health hygiene and regular dental cleanings and exams twice a year.
Dr Uma Patel DDS
Implant Orthodontic Cosmetic Dentist